Sketchbox  - Is it the best art subscription box for you?
Each month, artists all over the world can experiment with new mediums and supplies by paying one low monthly feeme.
But of course you're probably wondering: is this box one of those subscription boxes you actually want to show up at your door? Or is it one you should pass up?
This quick rundown should help you figure that out.
What is SketchBox?Sketchbox is a monthly subscription service that allows you to receive 4-6 pieces of high-grade art supplies like pen pastels, krink markers, full kits, erasers, colored pencils, and many others delivered directly to your door every month for a fraction of what you'd pay in a store.
According to their website, there are two different box sizes. The first, is the Basic Box and the second is the Premium Box, which is shipped with higher quality materials than what you'll find in the Basic Box.
As of the time of this writing, the Premium Box option is the only available option on their site. However, it looks like they shipped them during 2018, so if you're interested in the Basic Box, you can contact their team at [email protected].
Regardless of which box you get, each is themed, being completely dedicated to watercolors, gouache, ink, and sometimes pencils.
They ship to the US, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, the Netherlands, Austria, France, Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Japan so pretty much no matter where in the world you are, you can have premier quality art supplies shipped directly to your door.
Sketchbox has 3-month, 6-month, and yearly subscription plans that you pay upfront and a month-to-month option. The longer the subscription, the less you pay!
Want to get this box for yourself or as a gift for someone?
Recent Sketchbox SuppliesThese are some of the items that have been shipped in previous boxes.
|Image||Product Name||Best Feature||Retail Price|
|Kuretake Zig “Cambio” Brush Pen||This brush pen doesn't require squeezing because it flows naturally.||$10|
|Lyra Rembrandt Aquarell Colored Pencils||Last month's Premium box shipped out two of these pencils to help members perfect their shading techniques.||$2.20|
|Legion Aqua Hotpress Bock||A 10-page hot press paper book perfect for watercolor pencils.||$13|
|Marabu Graphix Aqua Ink||High-quality watercolor ink meant to create vibrant colors.||$3|
|4-Piece Sakura Pigma Micron Pens||An entire 4-piece set of quality micron pens that will help make your lines stronger or softer... Your choice!||$9|
|Derwent Lightfast Colored Pencils||A unique pack created specifically for Sketchbox, Derwent's newest and 100% lightfast colored pencils feel perfect when they hit the paper.||N/A|
|Crimson Holbein Acryla gouache||Use watercolors the way they were meant to be used with gouache.||$8|
|Higgins Pigmented Drawing ink||Featured in the March 2017 ink themed Basic Box||$8|
|Uni-Ball Posca PCF-350 Brush Tip Pen||One of the Basic Boxes included four of these bad boys, totaling $24... The best part? There was more in the box.||$6|
If you're an artist, this subscription is a no-brainer. It's filled with useful art supplies that will help you improve your craft while experimenting with new techniques and materials - all for a reasonable monthly payment!
However, one of the unusual things when it comes to Sketchbox is - at the time of this writing - users seem to be unable to sign up for the Basic Box option and the Premium box is the only available choice.
After clicking on every "Get Started" button on the main page, users are always routed to a URL that contains the words "premium box" and the price of your box is always the premium price. The only option to change your box type is a grayed out and unclickable link.
So as long as you're willing to pay $35/month for the Premium Box, then yes, we think its a good value, especially considering the retail value of the items that come in the box would actually cost you more than $35 if you bought them individually in a brick and mortar store.
Pros vs Cons of SketchboxThere are some good and bad aspects of this subscription. Here's an easy-to-read breakdown of them in list form.
- 4-6 High-quality pieces of art supplies from well-established companies, delivered directly to your door each month.
- Flat-rate $35 means you pay less than if you bought everything at the store.
- Exclusive "Sketchbox Signature" branded supplies in some boxes.
- Each box comes with an inspirational piece of artwork made with the supplies from that box.
- Only $5 shipping if you live in the US.
- The chance to become a featured artist on their website!
- Paypal accepted.
- Gift options available.
- Save even more money by buying a longer subscription plan.
- Their online store lets you buy or reorder all your favorite previous boxes.
- As of the time of this writing, the Basic subscription is not selectable and you're only able to buy the Premium Box.
- Multi-month subscriptions auto-renew.
- Shipping outside the US costs $10 if you're from Canada and $15+ if you're from somewhere else.
- 5% refund fee if you didn't cancel your subscription before you were charged. You can still get a refund though.
Sketchbox Coupon or Promo CodeThere is no current promo or coupon code.
How to Join the SketchboxJoining Sketchbox is super easy and only takes a few clicks of the mouse!
1. "Get Started"Once you're on the homepage, click "Get Started."
2. Choose Your Subscription TypePay month-to-month, or pay upfront for a 3-month, 6-month, or 12-month term.
3. Enter your DetailsEnter your payment and shipping details on one convenient screen, double-check it, and submit!
4. Wait to Create
Be patient! Your new art supplies will be shipped by the 25th of each month so it arrives right at the start of a new one!
More Great Subscription Boxes
Sketchbox isn't the only art supplies subscription box on the market. If it doesn't seem right for you, check out these other great art subscription boxes!
- Scrawlrbox is an alternative that's based in the UK, but ships all over the world.
- Doodle Crate is a lot more than a doodler's dream.
- If you like the idea of monthly theme boxes, the Smart Art Box plays by those rules.
So there you have it... Hopefully, this brief introduction to Sketchbox has helped you make a more informed purchasing decision. Don't stop creating!
Want to get this box for yourself or as a gift for someone?