Hopsy – Is it a great beer subscription box?
New? Start here. | This post contains affiliate links (what is this?)If you like beer, (and who doesn’t like beer?) you need to do yourself a favor and check out Hopsy. It takes a considerably different approach to your standard beer of the month club or beer subscription boxes.
What’s better after a long day of work than a frosty pint? A frosty pint that you pour yourself. There’s a reason Dublin is full of “pull your own pint” classes. It’s just more rewarding.
Everything you need to enjoy the perfect pint in your own home is delivered right to your door. What could be easier than that? Plus… no driving
Keep reading to see how you can enjoy a craft draft beer in the comforts of your own home.
Hopsy is a monthly craft beer subscription coupled with an ingenious little appliance that allows anyone to enjoy draft beer in their own home.
The SUB Draft Device plugs into proprietary mini kegs and allows you to dispense mouth watering suds in your home, or dare I recommend, office. The initial investment in the SUB Beer Machine is going to set you back $140 with a three-month club commitment ($199 with no ongoing commitment), but it does come with 2 mini kegs and two glasses to get you started.
Getting beer into your device happens one of two ways. Buy individual kegs, which run around $20, or join the beer club.
When you join the Hopsy beer club, you’ll fill out your flavor profile so that they can match your tastes with their offerings. No sense in tapping a keg of yellow fizzy beer if you’re a hop forward west coast IPA fan. Their curators will recommend new beers for you to try based on your flavor profile, but ultimately the choice of which beer you receive is up to you.
Each box contains 4 mini kegs, each keg containing roughly 4 pints of beer. The monthly club price will set you back just about $60 plus shipping. So, at under $4 for a pint of craft beer, you’re doing better than happy hour.
They also seem to run a ton of sales.
Want to get this box for yourself or as a gift for someone?
To get an idea of what is on tap at Hopsy, take a look at what is currently available from their store to be placed in a subscription box or bought a la carte.
Hopsy is still featuring some bright summer seasonal brews and kombuchas, but keep in mind that they do try and rotate their beers to offer season appropriate drinking experiences.
|Image||Product Name||Best Feature||Price|
|The SUB Home Tap (Pale Ale)||Get started with the tap system plus two lighter ale kegs.||$129.99|
|The SUB Home Tap (IPA)||Get started with the home draft and two kegs of award-winning IPAs.||$129.99|
|Passionberry Bliss Kombucha Torp – GT’s Living Foods||A bright kombucha made with blackberry juice.||$21.99|
|Citra Single Hop IPA – Hermitage||A Hopsy exclusive 7.2% west coast style IPA.||$17.99|
|Bloody Orange IPA – New English||Brewed with natural blood orange, this IPA clocks in at 7.2% ABV||$19.99|
|Early Bird Milk Stout – Coronado||What started off as a small batch seasonal test brew now is available in your home. Comes in at a modest 5.0% ABV.||$17.99|
|Stumpton Coldbrew Coffee – Stumpton Coffee||No alcohol at all. Cold brew coffee right on tap. What’s not to love about on a hot day?||$19.99|
|Shoeless Joe Brown Ale – Strike Brewing||A full bodied brew topping in at a whopping 8.0% ABV. This is a beer to be enjoyed at home.||$18.99|
|Patio Kolsch – Hermatige||Named for its light flavor profile and sessionable 5.0% ABV, this beer is best enjoyed outdoors on your porch.||$18.99|
|Hot As Helles Lager – Coronado||This German style beer has a low bitterness profile and a malty flavor that make it an unchallenging and very drinkable pint. The alcohol level comes in at 5.0% ABV which makes a second pint a worthy decision.||$17.99|
Now that you have some idea of what this monthly beer club and shop is all about, let’s see if it’s the right purchase for you.
This subscription box has paired with some really top-notch, award-winning, craft breweries and coffee makers. Let’s get that right.
You can check out the full-length Hopsy review but for now, let’s look at some of the pros and cons of this subscription service.
- Solid selection of award-winning craft beers. Hopsy has partnered directly with some of the biggest names in regional craft beer.
- Satisfaction Guarantee. They promise a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, so if you’re not happy, they’ll make it right.
- Curated Club to explore new flavors. There are imports, IPA packages, and more on the way.
- Offers non-alcoholic options in kombucha and cold brew coffee.
- Kegs stay fresh for up to two weeks once tapped. So, there’s no need to finish a keg in one sitting.
- Proprietary keg connection. You aren’t going to be able to hook up any other type of keg or growler to this device. Add to that, the upfront investment can be a little pricey if you’re not a huge beer drinker.
- No mass market beers yet. Most of the beers offered are brewed in California, which is okay, because California is the beer capital of the country right now.
No Coupon currently available.
Getting started is pretty straightforward. About as straightforward as actually drinking a beer.
Here’s how to join Hopsy:
1. Set up your account
You can create an account through your Facebook login, or through your email address. Upon entering your address, Hopsy will double check that they deliver to this address before sending your libations off into the ether.
2. Invest in the Draft Device
No getting around this, but when you amortize it out, you should be happy with the investment. Start with your 2 mini keg kit.
3. Decide if You’re a Club Member or an ad-hoc purchaser
If you’re joining the club right off the bat, fill out your flavor profile to get started with a curator.
If you already know what you like, you can go right to the store page to buy your draft device with your first 2 mini kegs included. After that, hit up the store to start picking and choosing.
4. Schedule Delivery
If you’re ordering alcoholic items, remember you’re likely going to need a signature.
5. Pour a Perfect Pint
Hopsy provides lessons right on their website to get you pouring the perfect taproom pint.
More Great Beer Boxes:
Even if it turns out that you don’t need a new appliance and this draft beer club isn’t your mug of ale, there are plenty of other beer boxes to wet your whistle.
- Tavour goes out of their way to sample rare beers and bring you beer you likely can’t find in the store.
- Craft beer club is a more traditional “beer of the month” club with a case of 4 different styles delivered to your door monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly.
- The rare beer club sends seasonal, limited release, celebratory, and other exclusive beers to your home or office on a monthly basis.
- Beer of the month club reviews – check out our reviews of all of the various beer clubs that we think are worth your pallette’s attention.
Hopsy gets a lot of things right. If you want an ice cold pint of premium quality, award-winning, draft beer right in your own kitchen, this subscription box has you covered.
While they seem to be a little heavily west coast focused and IPA centric (as may be the trend in a current beer of the month club), there’s no doubt that as they continue to grow, so will their selection.
As beer subscription boxes go, Hopsy is definitely worth a look.
Want to get this box for yourself or as a gift for someone?